Summer is sadly coming to a close, but there’s time for a few more picnics. Here’s my idea of the perfect picnic hamper:
- First, no need for a basket or hamper, there are some great coolers and icechests out there with wheels, use one of those!
- You’ll want a main dish, a side dish, a dessert and something to drink.
- Here are some suggestions for mains:
- MagicKitchen.com Verdura Gourmet Artisan Flatbread with Kalamata Olives
- A sturdy bread like a marble rye, Irish Soda bread, multigrain or a baguette sliced in half, Slathered with butter or margarine, mustard or mayonnaise and a meat of your choice. Take thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers along in separate containers to add to the sandwiches at picnic time (if you add them too early, the bread will get awfully soggy)
- Fried Chicken! Or for a more healthy version, try this Oven Fried chicken recipe from Delish.com
- Grape tomatoes, Mediterranean olives, cucumber slices and feta cheese with a slice of crusty whole-wheat bread.
- Another recipe from delish.com: Vegetable Hoagies.
- For Side dishes,
- This sounds yummy- Herbed Walnut Potato Salad from All recipes.com
- How about this healthy Corn and Green Bean salad from Diabeticliving online? (Diabetic recipes are often some of the healthiest around for everyday living too!)
- Guess it’s ’cause I’m starting to watch my weight, but weight-watchers.com has this delicious Tomato, Basil and Smoked Mozzarella Pasta Salad.
- Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits with Chives from eatingwell.com
5. For desserts:
- Anything off the MagicKitchen.com dessert page, but I’m here to tell you that the panna cotta is to die for.
- Whatever kind of fresh fruit is in season. Nothing better than fresh fruit.
- go to your favorite local bakery and get some soft chewy cookies.
6. To drink:
- First, make sure there’s a designated driver if the drinks are alcoholic. Light beer, coolers or wine are appropriate, but there are lots of non-alcoholic drinks that are delicious too!
- About.com has 10 options right here!* Best Lemonade
* Boston Iced Tea
* Brazilian Lemonade
* Ginger Iced Tea
* Lime Mint Iced Tea
* Strawberry Lemonade
* Thai Iced Tea
* Iced Almond Coffee
* Tips for Making Iced Coffee
* Watermelon Lemonade Recipe
7. Bring along a comfy blanket and some cushions to sit on (and some folding chairs for the older folks)
8. Don’t forget to pack any cutlery you’ll need, whether it’s plastic or not, along with plenty of napkins and a few garbage bags. Pick up after yourselves, and enjoy your day!!
Melody -MagicKitchen.com Blogger.